Klopp Castle is the landmark of Bingen. Today it houses the city council.
Presumably it was built on Roman foundations. Also the 171 feet deep well probably originates from the Roman time.
The castle - destroyed in 1689 - was the domicile of the castle commissioners from the archbishop of Mainz. Later it housed the chapter.
The castle was rebuilt between 1875 and 1879.
|Source: Foto Loreleyfelsen Felix König||
© 2006 - 2014 go_on Software GmbH