Katz (Cat) Castle

Opening hours Cat Castle
not open to visitors
hotel Cat Castle

Count Wilhelm II. of Katzenelnbogen has built the Katz Castle in the second half of the 14th century. Katz Castle was used as bastion and military base to protect the Rheinfels Castle. Together they formed a fortified bulwark with a barrier for levying of the Rhine toll. The extended view up to the bend of the river at the Loreley was also of great importance to secure salmon fishing. Due to the intentionally chosen location on the mountain ridge Katz Castle could not possibly be conquered from the valley.

Only after the invention of fire arms, Katz Castle had to be substantially reinforced. It was also upgraded as bastion against Maus Castle in the Electorate of Trier. At the same time the donjon of Katz Castle was raised to approx. 197 feet to ensure eye contact with Reichenstein Castle which is approx 1.9 miles away. In 1479 the family line of the Counts of Katzenelnbogen died out.

In succession of long-lasting disputes on heritage, Katz Castle and Rheinfels Castle were besieged, demolished, rebuilt and extended several times. Even though repairs had been made in 1800, Napoleon blew up Katz Castle in 1806.

In 1896 District Administrator Berg acquired Katz Castle, to reconstruct it as close as possible to the original design. From 1946 till 1951 Katz Castle served as local High School "Institut Hofmann" including board

Since 1989 Katz Castle is private property of a Japanese and accommodates the hotel Katz Castle.

 

Bookmark this article at ...
BlinkList del.icio.us Folkd Furl Google Linkarena Mister Wong oneview Yahoo MyWeb YiGG Webnews

Google
Web loreleyinfo.de
Source: Foto Loreleyfelsen Felix König
© 2006 - 2014 go_on Software GmbH
Deutsch Englisch Französisch Spanisch Italienisch Chinesisch Niederländisch Polnisch Türkisch Japanisch