This castle, primarily owned (since 1257) by the Falkenstein family, is one of the most important examples of the Hohenstaufen military and house construction style at the Rhine.
Since 1277 it has been a castle of the Electorate of Palatinate. After an unsuccessful siege in 1504 by landgrave Wilhelm from Hessen, the castle was renamed Gutenfels (solid rock).
Rebuilt between 1889 and 1892 it is now used as a hotel.
|Source: Foto Loreleyfelsen Felix König||
© 2006 - 2014 go_on Software GmbH