The Ehrenfels Castle formed together with the Mäuseturm and the Klopp Castle a northward barrier since the 13th Century, in order to protect the territory of the archbishopric of Mainz. In the Middle Ages it was strategically of greatest importance because of its favourable location above the Binger Loch. Furthermore it was as toll station an important pecuniary resource for the bishops and the church. The castle, which was used in times of war as a hiding place for the cathedral treasury of Aachen, was extensively destroyed in 1689.
Even today the ruin still impresses by its monumental structure.
|Source: Foto Loreleyfelsen Felix König||
© 2006 - 2014 go_on Software GmbH