In popular speech Sterrenberg Castle and Liebenstein Castle are called the "Hostile Brothers". Probably the disputes of the different owners of the castles inspired the legend around the hostile brothers, first told in 1587.
In reality Liebenstein Castle, built in the 13th Century and therefore the younger one, was the forecastle of Sterrenberg Castle. The two shield walls serve as improved defence of Sterrenberg. There is no historic evidence that they were meant against Liebenstein Castle. It is taken for granted that there never has been an armed conflict between the castles.
From 1970 to 1977 preservation and restoration works were carried out (in 1970 the women house, in 1972 the restaurant designed in Gothic style). The tower got crenellation and white plaster to restore it to its medieval condition. Numerous timber holes and chimneys in the inner and outer shield wall indicate that there have been further residential buildings opposite to the wall in front of the restaurant that got windows during the restoration.
Today Sterrenberg Castle is owned by "Burgen, SchlÃ¶sser, AltertÃ¼mer Rhineland-Palatinate" and open to visitors. It accommodates a restaurant with panoramic terrace.
|Source: Foto Loreleyfelsen Felix König||
© 2006 - 2014 go_on Software GmbH