Sooneck Castle, probably built in the 11th century, was part of an expanded defence system of the abbey Kornelimünster near Aachen. The chatelains neglected their obligations, undertook raids and raised toll arbitrarily, which impaired the trade strongly. King Rudolf of Habsburg put an end to their practices in 1282. One robber nest after the other, also Sooneck, was destroyed. The rebuilt castle was again destroyed in 1689. Friedrich Wilhelm IV. ordered to convert the ruin into a hunting seat in 1842. He commissioned the Prussian architect Schnitzler to do the work, which was finished in 1861.
Today the castle with its impressive location and the wonderful view is a popular destination, which provides an insight into the 19th century. In addition to the magnificently equipped interiors the extensive Köth Wanscheid donation impresses particularly with its wonderful paintings and precious furniture.
|Source: Foto Loreleyfelsen Felix König||
© 2006 - 2014 go_on Software GmbH