Ferdinand Freiligrath once called it “the most beautiful refuge of the Rhine romanticism”.
Also today Schönburg Castle lives up to its name and accommodates a famous hotel. In addition the Kolpingwerk uses it as youth castle.
In 1149 the castle owned by Hermann von Stahleck was temporarily an Empire Castle and came into possession of the Schönburg dynasty. Like several of its neighbours Schönburg Castle was destroyed in 1689.
Since 1885 it has been rebuilt bit by bit into its current condition. The powerful shield wall is one of the most important of its kind.
From here a beautiful hiking trail leads directly to the city of Oberwesel.
Marcar este artículo en ...
|Source: Foto Loreleyfelsen Felix König||
© 2006 - 2014 go_on Software GmbH